Job Summary Statement:
The Product Designer will be responsible for the design and development of products from high performance, leisure and lifestyle hydration to hydration accessories, food storage items and various other products. Providing innovative design solutions to support the company strategy and the team’s goals and objectives. The Product Designer is responsible for all aspects of the design process from concept generation to development of the final technical packages which include CAD assembly files to hand off to the Product development and sourcing teams. Responsibilities range from sketching, rendering, and/or prototype model creation to communicate design intent and proof of concept to Engineering of components and assemblies.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the entire design and development process of a product and/or collection of products, including market research to understand the consumer, identifying trends, creating trend and consumer profile boards, ideation sketching, designing in both 2D and 3D, understanding of the costing structure, assembling tech packs, and CAD spec sheets for hand-off to Development and Engineering, Pre-Production product debug along with clear and concise direction to our China Team and Suppliers.
- Be a collaborative partner, working with cross functional team members in Design, Product Development, Engineering and Marketing to ensure design commerciality, adherence to price points and product prototyping timelines to meet the needs of consumers, merchants and vendors.
- Support activities of seasonal line plan execution in partnership with Product Management, analyzing core consumers and the market to ensure continuous improvement of product design solutions to elevate the brand.
- Visualize and present design concepts to establish and evaluate solutions for new products.
- Establish the design integrity required to create or follow a cohesive product language with a good, better, best strategy, by delivering products with a point of difference, and in alignment with brand or collection guidelines.
- Introduce new ideas and update key items based on marketing research activities, and articulate research into concept sketches and drawings.
- Utilize 3D CAD modeling to design products that meet brand strategy objectives with respect to functionality, material selection and cost parameters.
- Create physical 3D models to resolve design problems and to evolve and realize the concept.
- Independently define and lead the design process through all stages, creating design concepts and assisting in the development process
- Some travel is required.
- Other duties as required.
Minimum Requirements and Qualifications:
- Education: BFA/BA/BS degree in Industrial Design, preferably from an IDSA accredited school.
- Experience: Three (3) years of experience in industrial design and product development. Experience should include developing products through conceptual sketching, prototypes, model studies, and 2D and 3D computer software.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to understand consumer needs, and be able to identify niche, new or missed opportunities in the current marketplace, and to articulate that knowledge to create innovative new consumer products.
- English language skills: Able to read, write, speak and comprehend English.
- Math skills: Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Work Environment: A combination of a general office environment and model shop.
- Computer Skills: Advanced computer literacy with proficiency in Solidworks or similar CAD programs, and Adobe suite.
- Communication Skills: Professional oral, written, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills to effectively interact with all levels of contacts, vendors, and customers.
- Sketching Skills: Strong 2D and perspective sketching skills, quick concept drawing abilities, strong color rendering skills, understanding and ability to create hand drawn control drawings, understanding and ability to create exploded views, and good sense of materials, color and textures.
- Strong project management skills and proven ability to follow through and execute to a high standard.
- An understanding of brand image and how it relates to product design language, with the ability to carefully express and evolve the Igloo and Cool Gear brands.
- Familiarity with injection and co-injection molding, blow molding, composites and the latest manufacturing and assembly techniques, ergonomics and materials properties.
- A team player with the ability to collaborate across departments and disciplines to build great product.
- Highly creative and inspirational with a demonstrated passion for design, and ability to translate that passion into commercial products to meet consumer needs.
- Strong ability to prioritize, multitask and manage various day-to-day activities, working to a timeline as well as being able to work on large-scale projects and accommodating fast-track requests.
- Ability to work well under pressure and sometimes within short deadlines, and assist in the creation of unique and differentiated stories as well as items.
- Ability to function independently with minimal supervision while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and departments.
- Capable of thriving in a fast-paced, dynamic, and evolving environment.
Tools & Equipment used:
- Computer for CAD modeling.
- Model Shop tooling and Machines.
Corporate-wide Operating Conduct Expectations:
Corporate-wide Conformance Expectations:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.